Mommy Perfect shows you the simplest way to make kosher deli dill pickles in 2 minutes. (Full disclosure: it actually takes 2 minutes of prep, plus a week of pickling, but who’s counting?)
I think it’s fair to say that most kids love kosher deli dill pickles. Each of my kids can eat a whole jar by themselves in one sitting… if I were to let them. While pickling at home can be fun, but it’s always time consuming, takes loads of prep, ingredient shopping, special pickling jars, frankly it’s not a thing we can do very often (at least I can’t). The Mommy Perfect method is the absolute easiest way to make a jar of kosher deli dill pickles in 2 minutes with almost zero effort and only two ingredients.
- a jar of your favorite kosher deli dill pickles. I buy the 64oz Claussen half-pickle jars for $6.50 at Wal Mart, but you can use any size, style, or brand that you want.
- a few cucumbers. Any cucumber variety will work: salad cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, whatever you want to try. A bag of 6 pickling cucumbers at Wal Mart is roughly $3.
- Let your kids eat the new jar of kosher deli dill pickles, but keep the jar AND THE BRINE! Don’t pour it out or toss it.
- Rinse off the new cucumbers. Cut them in half, quarters, or leave them whole — your choice. Slicing them does speed up the pickling process however.
- Pack the jar full of the cucumbers, put the lid on it, put the jar in your fridge, and come back in a week.
- After a week in the fridge, give them a taste test. If you want them to taste more salty/pickly, put them back in the fridge for a few more days until you’re pleased. Keep refrigerated.
I suggest only using the same pickle brine once. You could possibly use the same brine twice (I’ve tried it as many as 3 times), but each time you use the same brine it will get less and less salty and flavorful because the salt and flavors are literally being soaked up by the pickles leaving the brine watery and bland.
Is this cheating? Well sure it is, but who ever said that taking shortcuts in the life of a mom isn’t allowed? The important thing is that it works, its easy, it’s cheap, and your kids will love them. Enjoy!
If you like this idea, please repost and share with your friends and family.