This is a simple yet delicious Low-Carb Low-Fat Tex-Mex Chili recipe that you can make in just a few minutes.
The idea for this came when I was on a strict diet a few years ago and I was tired of eating only chicken breasts. Now the whole family eats it because it’s easy to make, healthy, and tasty. I keep a pot of this in the fridge at all times. Very versatile, and perfect for dieters.
Here are some serving ideas:
- You can eat a bowl by itself for a low-fat, low-carb chili.
- Use it at a filling in burritos or tacos.
- Make it into nachos: Pile on top of some tortilla chips, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and place in the oven for a few minutes at 350 until cheese melts.
- Put a scoop on top of some leafy green lettuce to have a “taco salad” (crush a few baked tortilla chips on top for texture).
- Put it over rice for a more filling and balanced meal.
This chili also goes really well with my Jalapeno Creamed Cornbread.
- 1 lb lean ground beef*
- 1 lb lean ground turkey*
- 2 packets McCormick taco seasoning
- 1 - 21oz can Bush's Black Bean Fiesta Grillin Beans
- 1 - 22oz bag of frozen 3-pepper and onion blend
- 1 can of RoTel diced tomato with green chilies
- dollop of sour cream (optional)
- On medium heat brown the turkey and beef together in a pot until its into ground beef bits. Pour off the liquid.
- Add the tacos seasonings, black beans, diced tomatoes, and the frozen vegetables to the meat. Simmer on medium/low heat until the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
The taco seasoning packets says to add water, but that's not necessary because of the amount of water than comes with the canned and frozen vegetables.
*Note: We do half ground beef and half ground turkey because using all turkey can have a mealy mouth-feel, so the beef helps to mask that. Also please note that not all turkey is lean so you much check the packages. They do sell 99% lean ground turkey, and 97% lean ground beef.